You experience slow file server performance and delays occur

Issues and Solutions to problems found with Windows Server 2003

Moderator: stephen

You experience slow file server performance and delays occur

Postby quinton » Sat Oct 21, 2000 10:01 am

One of my main goals for putting the server in was to greatly increase the speed of the Myob system, however it appears to be running slower than it was on the peer to peer to peer system.

I have also experienced quite a lot of trouble with Word and Excel, with it taking ages to close or open.

These are some Microsoft Web Sites that mention the problem

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321169
The above site mentions this workaround
Workaround 1
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current ControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
3. Double-click the RequireSecuritySignature value, type 0 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
4. Double-click the EnableSecuritySignature value, type 0 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.
By default, the EnableSecuritySignature value is set to 1 (ON) on a domain controller and is set to 0 (OFF) on a non-domain controller. As a result, slow SMB copy performance only occurs when you copy items to a domain controller.

I have made the above changes on the Windows SBS 2003 registry and restarted the server. The result is:....

----------
Another article on slow performance
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822219
quinton
Site Admin

Return to Windsows Server 2003 Issues