Disappearing files in shared folder on server 2003

Issues and Solutions to problems found with Windows Server 2003

Moderator: stephen

Disappearing files in shared folder on server 2003

Postby stephen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 am

I have a HP Proliant ML115 G1 Server
Running Microsoft Windows SBS 2003 R2 premium. with Windows server 2003 SP2 applied

and I have 4 x SATA disks installed running raid from the built in NVIDIA raid controller on the motherboard.

The disks have been configured as a RAID 5

What happens is that at aboot midday and later at 4pm files just start disappearing from the server network share.
Whole directories of data just disappear.

I restore the files from backup and they are there until the next file disappearing event happens.
I have resorted to using synchredible to synchronise the shared files to the users hard drive so that we have a copy always uptop date on the users pc.

To try and resolve the problem.
I backup the server, replaced the disks,
changed the raid from raid 5 to raid 1
restored to new disks.
updated the Raid driver obtained from from the HP downloads area.

But two days later, users reported files are disappearing again.

My next step is to purchase an Adaptec 1430SA raid controller and backup server data and restore to the disks connected on the new raid controller.

Solution:
The use of the ADAPTEC 1430A Raid controller instead of the built in NVIDIA Raid Controller on the HP Proliant ML115 G5 server fixed the problem.

The other Solution
I think the real issue was that some users were doing bulk file deletes on the server.
Train the users to not delete the files on the server. Change the permissions on folders so that only the user of that folder can delete the files the other users can just read.
stephen

Return to Windsows Server 2003 Issues