How to setup Outlook Anywhere

Issues and Solutions to problems found with Windows Server 2003

Moderator: stephen

How to setup Outlook Anywhere

Postby stephen » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 pm

How to setup Outlook Anywhere:

see this site:
http://forums.msexchange.org/Outlook_Anywhere_not_working/m_1800438631/tm.htm

Keep in mind this was done in Outlook 2003 and from outside the corporate network. The setup is pretty similar in 2007:

1. At the Exchange Server Settings screen, enter the internal FQDN of the mail server and the user name. You are going to be using the external address as a proxy to the internal one.

2. Click on More Settings. Outlook will pause for a moment and then throw up an error about not finding the server. This is expected, just hit OK and then select Cancel at the next screen.

3. After hitting Cancel you'll get another window. Select the Security tab and make sure 'Encrypt Data Between Microsoft Office Outlook and Microsoft Exchange' is checked, then select 'Kerberos/NTLM Authentication' under Logon network security. In Outlook 2007, you have the option to tell it to just negotiate the authentication. Select the Connection tab when complete.

4. At the bottom of the Connection tab, check the box next to 'Connect to my Exchange mailbox using HTTP' and select the Exchange Proxy Settings button.

5. Enter the external address of the mail server. In my case it was the same as the external OWA: https://mail.domain.com. Check 'Connect using SSL only', check the settings for fast and slow networks, then choose 'NTLM Authentication' and hit OK and OK again to go back to the Email Accounts screen.

From there you should be able to test by telling Outlook to Check Name. If a username/password prompt appears, it's successfully connecting.

This would never work no matter what I did until I entered the internal FQDN of the mail server in the Settings screen. Once I did, worked like a charm. Enjoy.
stephen

Return to Windsows Server 2003 Issues