Outlook nickname cache corrupt

Support Notes in using Windows Server 2008

Outlook nickname cache corrupt

Postby stephen » Wed May 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Why do I get the error 'The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system' when sending message to the valid recipient?

I had to change a site from a SBS 2003 server to a SBS 2008 server, The upgrade process would not work. So I installed a new domain and exported the users emails from the old domain to the new.
However users email addresses cached on the PC's still referred to the old domain name.

I found the solutions here
http://fawzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/exchange-2007-delivery-has-failed-to-these-recipients-or-distribution-lists/

So what is the solution?? It can be done by two ways:

1- Delete current mailboxs and create users accounts and reconnect them .

2- Outlook maintains a “nickname” list that is used by both the automatic name checking and the AutoCompletion features. The nickname list is automatically compiled as you address email messages. If the nickname cache becomes corrupt, Outlook may not be able to identify recipients, may offer incorrect recipients, may send to an incorrect or old email address, or may send the message to the wrong person.

If you are having problems with a single recipient, you can easily delete the one cached entry as shown in the following section, “Delete a single cached entry”. Otherwise, proceed to the section titled “To delete your Nickname Cache file” further below.
To delete a single cached entry

1. Open Outlook
2. Open a new message window; go to the File menu and choose New – Mail Message.
3. Type one or more letters of the recipient name or address; this will show memorized (cached) entries in a drop-down list. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to select the entry to be deleted. With the entry highlighted, press the DEL or DELETE key or your keyboard.

This removes the entry from your autocompletion cache.
To delete your Nickname Cache file.

Use the following steps that are appropriate for your version of Microsoft Windows to reset the Outlook nickname cache. After you restart Outlook, Outlook generates a new nickname cache.

Microsoft Windows XP

1. Exit Outlook.
2. Start Microsoft Windows Explorer.
3. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
4. Under Advanced Settings, select the Show hidden files and folders check box.
5. Click OK.
6. Click Start, point to Search, and then click All files or folders.
7. In the Search Companion box, type *.NK2 in the All or part of the file name box.
8. In the Look in box, select your local hard disk drive.
9. Click Search.
10. Right-click the .NK2 file with the name of the profile that you want to reset, and then click Rename.
11. Rename the file to profile name.bak, and then press ENTER.
12. Exit Windows Explorer.
13. Restart Outlook.

http://hosting.intermedia.net/support/kb/default.asp?id=1564
stephen

Return to Windows Server 2008