Issues installing FeeBSD on DELL R610 Server

FreeBSD Installation tips

Issues installing FeeBSD on DELL R610 Server

Postby stephen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:06 pm

I have a DELL R610 Server dual Intel Xeon processors with 16Gb RAM and I am installing FreeBSD 8.0 64 bit vsersion.

The basic install from the FreeBSD DVD installs as per normal, just follow the defaults as you boot from the FreeBSD DVD.

Issue 1
However I have 2 x SAS 160Gb drives and I can only see one of the drives /dev/da0 in the /dev folder.
I am not using Raid and want to have access to the second disk which I think should be /dev/da1 but this does not show in the /dev folder.

Solution
The Dell powerEdge R610 was shipped with the SAS controller configured with RAID 1. Solution was to boot server and press Ctrl+C at the SAS Controller Configuration prompt, press Enter on the SAS Controller Line arrow down to raid configuration and delete the RAID 1 array.

Exit and the server reboots your Operating System boots and you now have access to the two drives.

To access the 2nd Drive we need to run FDISK to create a slice
and then create a FreeBSD partition
I used sysinstall select Configure, Fdisk, Select DA1 and delete all existing and use A to use entire disk W to save
Then use the Label option from the Sysconfig, Configure meny to create the da1s1d partition
W Write Changes Q to Quit

edit /etc/fstab and add a mount point for the da1s1d partition
/dev/da1s1d /mnt/disk2 ufs rw 2 2
stephen

Return to FreeBSD