applying compter settings

applying compter settings

Postby stephen » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:40 pm

I have a Toshiba A9 in a docking base. Which is taking forever to start up and login to an SBS 2003 server.

When I power on the notebook the screen says Applying Computer settings for about 5 to 10 minutes.
I then get to the login screen when I login to the server domain as a user
the screen then says Applying Personal Settings and this can take about 5 to 15 minutes before I get to the desktop.

I found if I disconnected the notebook from the network I could start up and login normally then by connecting the network cable I could
access the network.

research found this web site
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=11163&eventno=1746&source=DnsApi&phase=1

Brian Collins (Last update 2/13/2006):
Eventually, what worked was un-joining the machine from the domain, deleting the disabled computer account, and re-joining the computer to the domain.
stephen

Re: applying compter settings

Postby stephen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:40 am

I have a DELL notebook and it will take 25 minutes to login when at home and 35 minutes to login when at work connected to the SBS Server 2003 domain network. It has the message "Applying Computer Settings"

I tried disconnecting from Domain deleting the computer in the domain and rejoining the domain but this has not helped.

I have checked the DNS so that the PC DNS Server IP address points only to the SBS Server.

The user does not have a roaming profile on the SBS Server

Found this here http://www.ehow.com/how_4823050_computer-settings-starting-windows-xp.html
#

Turn your computer off. Although it still might work while your computer is turning on, its better just to start with the computer shut down.
#
Step 2

Remove any network or internet cables from your computer. If your computer also is wireless enabled, make sure you disable it. If you use a laptop, there might be a switch on the side of the computer. Switch that off.
#
Step 3

Turn on your computer. It should move past the "Applying computer settings" very quickly. Once you are logged in, plug in any internet or network cables and enable your wireless (if you have it).

You should now be good to go!

Found this tip at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Network_Management/Network_Operations/Q_23525681.html
* Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP in advanced TCP/IP settings. (was set to Default before)
Removed the "Networking services" windows components:
* IPV6 firewall
* Internet gateway device discovery and control client

I think it was the last one that did the trick, blocking networking util it was through searching my net for unexisting controlable gateways.
------------------------------
Comment from bdipaolo99
Date: 11/17/2003 10:17AM PST
stephen

Postby stephen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:25 am

You cannot log on or you experience a long delay on a domain controller or on a member computer that is running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
I found this site had a

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883268

This problem may occur if one or more services that run in the Lsass.exe process or in the Services.exe process are no longer configured to run as shared service processes. By default, services that run in these processes are configured to run as shared service processes.

If you have not successfully logged on after the problem first occurred, press the F8 key when the operating system selection page is displayed or before the computer starts Windows. Select the Last Known Good Configuration option.

If you still experience the problem, follow these steps to log on to the computer and to run Sc.exe.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP

1. Restart the computer.
2. Press the F8 key before the Windows logo page is displayed.
3. Press the F8 key to select Advanced Startup Options when the operating system selection page is displayed.
4. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and then press ENTER.

Windows Server 2003

1. Restart the computer.
2. Press the F8 key before the Windows logo page is displayed.
3. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and then press ENTER.

You can use the Sc.exe tool to determine what service is incorrectly configured. To do this, follow these steps.

Note Sc.exe is included with Windows XP and with Windows Server 2003. Sc.exe is also available in the Windows 2000 Server resource kit.

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after you type each command:
* Sc query HTTPFilter
* Sc query KDC
* Sc query Netlogon
* Sc query NTLMssp
* Sc query PolicyAgent
* Sc query ProtectedStorage
* Sc query SamSs
* Sc query Eventlog
* Sc query PlugPlay

The TYPE value must be 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS for the services that are listed in the "More Information" section to be correctly configured. This value configures the services to run in shared service processes.

For example, if you type SC query Netlogon, you receive output that is similar to the following:

C:\>sc query Netlogon

SERVICE_NAME: Netlogon
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 4 RUNNING
(STOPPABLE,PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

Note Services that are configured to run in separate memory processes have a TYPE value of 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS.

After you determine what services are incorrectly configured, follow these steps to change the TYPE value:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. Type sc config Service Name type= share, and then press ENTER.

Note In this step, Service Name is one of the services that are listed in the "More Information" section.
3. Repeat step 1 for each service that is incorrectly configured.

Note Even if you received activation notification before you followed these steps, you must reactivate your copy of Windows.

Back to the top
stephen

Postby stephen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 am

How to enable verbose startup, shutdown, logon, and logoff status Messages in the Windows Server 2003 family
This article describes how to configure Windows so that you receive verbose startup, shutdown, logon, and logoff status messages. Verbose status messages may be helpful when you are troubleshooting slow startup, shutdown, logon, or logoff behavior.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325376
stephen

Postby stephen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:42 am

Check the DNS settings on the server for the local domain,
You may find that the DNS entry for the computer does not have the correct IP Address as assigned by the DHCP Server,
stephen

Return to WIndows XP Issues