Repair Install hangs at 34 minutes installing devices

Repair Install hangs at 34 minutes installing devices

Postby stephen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:42 am

Repair Install hangs at 34 minutes during installing devices

I had a system that was infected with viruses, I tool the hard drive out of the pc and connected it to another PC so I could use that PC's virus checker to clean the drive the virus check found nearly 2000 Win32/Virut infections. Once the infections were healed I put the Hard Drive back into original PC.

I then did a repair install of XP however the repair install hangs at 34 Minutes Installing Devices message.

Solution:
I removed the XP CD, booted the PC pressing the F8 key to get the startup menu and then selected Start in Debugging Mode.

This time when the PC reached 34 minutes and Insert Disk message was displayed.
Please insert the Compact Disk labelled NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Driver library Installation Disk 1 into your CD ROM drive F: an then click OK

On another PC I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers called 178.24_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe
and used 7zip to extract the exe into its component files
then burnt these files to CD

This allowed the install to continue there was a file that it wanted in a subpath of the CD I just changed the path to the root of F:\ (my cd drive letter) and it continued.

Next it prompted for the CREATIVE Installed CD ROM
I created a CD from a downloaded driver programme by using again the 7zip program to extract the .exe to files and burning those files to CD.

When It asked for a file on the CD in a location that did not exist I was able to use SHIFT+F10 to get to a command prompt so I could do a DIR name.* /S to find the location of the required file.

With the creative CD I was able to press SHIFT+F10 get to a DOS prompt and ran the F:\setup.exe and do the Creative install process during the repair install.

Once the CRETIVE driver installed the repair install completed Installing Devices and continued on to completion.

Thanks to this web site for pointers to the solution
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/490703.html

Followup.
Although the PC can now boot into Windows, in safe mode, It will not boot into normal mode as it crashes with a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). So I am going to backup the data and reinstall windows.
stephen

Return to WIndows XP Issues